Wincle was not listed in Domesday, but in 12 91 there was a settlement known as Wynkehull or “Wineca’s Hill”.
The Dane Bridge
The road over the river crossing through the hamlet was a major medieval route between Leek and Macclesfield. A crossing at Danebridge was first recorded around 1190 when it was known as Scliderford, meaning slippery ford. By 1357 a bridge had been built which by 1545 was known as Sliderford bridge. In the early 17th century it was rebuilt once more as a stone bridge of two arches but was to be washed away by a flood in 1631. It was replaced the following year by a single arch bride. The present single arch bridge is dated 1869, funded by the counties of Staffordshire and Cheshire to the tune of £1,000 each, with the land and materials donated by Mr. Brocklehurst of Swythamley Hall.